Allow title/journal level editing for transferred title/publication

Hello,

It would be nice to have editing journal/title level DOI record feature on metadata manager or with XML deposits after title level transfer (especially to fix typos or update name/abbreviation info).

Searching and adding existing publication, than editing that record did not work.

We have faced that issue 2 times before.

Latest issue https://0-support-crossref-org.brum.beds.ac.uk/hc/en-us/requests/356577

Best.

3 Likes

Hi @hdogan. Good to hear from you again.

I saw your exchange with Shayn at the link you included. I am going to copy Shayn’s response to your enquiry here, so others can reference it to better understand Metadata Manager:

When Bilimsel Tip Publishing House (10.5578) was the registrant for this journal, they submitted the journal title as:
Kosuyolu Heart Journal

So, that’s the title we have in our records.

When you first deposit metadata for a given journal, the journal-level metadata (journal title, ISSN(s), journal-level DOI if you choose to include one, and the publisher/DOI prefix) are used to form a title record for that journal in our system. All future deposits for that journal must match that title record exactly, or else you’ll get a failure error like the one you received.

The journal title you used in this metadata deposit is:
Koşuyolu Heart Journal

Note the difference in the “s” vs “ş”.

That error is pointing out that the journal title you put in your deposit doesn’t match the journal title in our records for the given ISSN.

If you know that a title will be deposited differently from the way the prior publisher submitted it, it’s always helpful if you mention that when you request the title to be transferred.

I will modify our title record for this journal from “Kosuyolu Heart Journal” to “Koşuyolu Heart Journal” now, and re-run that last deposit.

As Shayn said, we can make changes to the title in our admin tool title records, but making those changes within Metadata Manager is just more challenging. Both the admin tool records and Metadata Manager are built for persistence, so we limit the journal-level changes that can be made in order to preserve links between records. We want to ensure that small changes do not disrupt our ability to match your references to other content and vice versa, so the system is rigid and thus changes like this one require intervention from someone like Shayn or myself to ensure consistency of your content.

Just chiming in to add a little more support for the request above for some way to change journal title information — and not just for transfer requests.

I completely appreciate the need to preserve persistence, but sometimes title names change, or people make typos on their first deposits, etc. It’s rare enough that it’s not a huge deal to write in, but it happens enough that I’d hope to some day be able to do it without needing to use your resources.

1 Like

Hello @gabestein. Thanks for adding to the discussion, and for joining the community forum!

Variations in journal titles is an issue both within and outside of Metadata Manager. Our support team invests a lot of time and resources in ensuring that journal titles match from submission to submission - we see mistakes throughout the deposit process for members who register content using helper tools and XML. I completely agree that we’d all like an easier approach within Metadata Manager to correct mistakes like this one. It’s admittedly cumbersome. Finding that balance between preserving the record for optimal citation matching and ease of correction is one we continue to strive for, especially for our members using Metadata Manager.

1 Like

Hi all,

Just a note here that the journal title transfer functionality within Metadata Manager has been disabled. This happened some time ago, but we didn’t want anyone reading this thread to have the impression that the transfer function is still available in Metadata Manager; it is not. Should you have a title transfer request, you can get more information on the process here or
reach out to us to begin the process.

My best,
Isaac